Unity is spiritual movement that is culturally Christian, yet spiritually unlimited. We believe that God is ever present and expressed in the world as each and every one of us. We believe in the power of prayer and the power of the spoken word. What we do and how we do it affects our lives, therefore we live, grow and prosper in spiritual action.
Unity is a positive, practical, progressive approach to Christianity based on the teachings of Jesus and the power of prayer. Unity honors the universal truths in all religions and respects each individual’s right to choose a spiritual path.
5 Basic Unity Principles - Our Core Beliefs (5 basic Unity principles for youth)
- There is only one Presence and one Power active as the universe and as my life, God the Good.
- Our essence is of God; therefore, we are inherently good. This God essence, called the Christ, was fully expressed in Jesus.
- We are co-creators with God, creating reality through thoughts held in mind.
- Through prayer and meditation, we align our heart-mind with God. Denials and affirmations are tools we use.
- Through thoughts, words and actions, we live the Truth we know.
God - God is Spirit, the loving source of all that is. God is the one power, all good, everywhere present, all wisdom. God is divine energy, continually creating, expressing and sustaining all creation. In God, we live and move and have our being. In Unity, some other ways we speak of God are Life, Light, Love, Substance, Principle, Law and Universal Mind.
Jesus - We believe that Jesus expressed his divine potential and sought to show humankind how to express ours as well. We see Jesus as a master teacher of universal truths and as our way-shower. In Unity, we use the term "Christ" to mean the divinity in humankind. Jesus is the great example of the Christ in expression.
The Nature of Humankind - We are each individual eternal expressions of God. Our essential nature is divine and, therefore, inherently good. Our purpose is to express our divine potential as realized and demonstrated by Jesus and other master teachers. The more we awaken to our divine nature, the more fully God expresses in and through our lives.
The Bible - Unity co-founders, Charles and Myrtle Fillmore, studied the Bible as history and allegory, and interpreted it as a metaphysical representation of humankind’s evolutionary journey toward spiritual awakening. In addition, Unity recognizes that the Bible is a complex collection of writings compiled over many centuries. We honor the writings as reflecting the understanding and inspiration of the writers at the time they were written. The Bible continues to be a valuable spiritual resource for us.
Unity Teaches and Emphasizes...
- That each person is a unique expression of God created with sacred worth. Living from that awareness transforms our lives and the world.
- The creative power of thought in our life experience. We refer to this as the law of mind action. When we take personal responsibility to choose life affirming thoughts, words and actions, we experience a more fulfilling and abundant life.
- The importance of applying spiritual principles in our daily lives.
- To continue to evolve as we identify, embrace and apply spiritual insights and the spiritual implications of new discoveries.
Prayer and Meditation
Affirmative prayer is the highest form of creative thought. It includes the release of counterproductive, negative thoughts as well as holding in mind statements of spiritual truth. Through meditation, we experience the presence of God. Prayer and meditation heighten our awareness and thereby transform our lives.
Youth and Family
Unity recognizes that there are many expressions of family life. All are welcome. Unity creates an affirming environment that fosters positive self image, personal responsibility and unconditional love and acceptance.
In Unity, we feel a sacred responsibility, individually and collectively, to make a positive difference through personal example and active service in our spiritual community, our local community and our world.